June BOM – LeMoyne Star

Hi everyone,

I’ve been cheating a little and looking ahead to see what’s to come in my Craftsy BOM class (as I’m already way behind!) and I decided to skip the May blocks for now as they seem more scrappy and I’d rather do the bigger blocks first to make sure I don’t run out of a particular fabric I may need.  So I decided to give the June BOM, a LeMoyne Star.  This block was very intimidating to me as I’ve never  worked with diamonds, with so many points and biased sides, or even Y-seams.  I’d read a few posts from others about how complicated the process is, and how careful you need to be, so needless to say that as a beginner sewer, I was thinking I might be way out of my league.  But I hunkered down and got into it 🙂

DSC06675  DSC06678

I started by colouring in my chart to decide which colours/fabrics I wanted where, and then proceeded to make strip sets which I then cut down to two 2.5″ wide parallelograms to make all of the star parts.  The next step was the trickiest part, attaching the parallelograms together to make each of the star diamonds.  I’ve never before worked with these shapes (while quilting), and so I had a hard time following the instructions here.  I ended up by creating my own method which ended up working perfectly every time!

DSC06685  DSC06691

 

I started by drawing a line 1/4″ across the seam on each of the sides to be joined.  I then stuck a needle exactly through the point where my line intersected the diagonal seam and did the same on the second piece, making sure that good sides were together.  I then pinned it like crazy to make sure it wouldn’t move and then sewed across.  Give it a go, it really works!

DSC06692  DSC06697

The rest of the star went pretty smoothly.  As I had marked all my pieces, sewing Y-seams was actually pretty easy, simply a matter of going from point to point, and never beyond.  I have a fancy option on my sewing machine that allows it to stitch three time in place before moving on to sew, which was great as it reinforced my stitches without my having to backstitch and risk going too far.

DSC06699  DSC06698

 

Here is my completed LeMoyne Star, in fact, my very first star block!  I’m really happy with it.  Only a few of the sections got a little distorted and for the most part, my points/intersections match up 🙂  Wow, what a sense of satisfaction!  I’m really happy that I decided to give it a go, even though I was warned it would be tough.  I learned a TON on this one, and I can’t wait to give my next BOM a go!

DSC06703  DSC06704



 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s